The Gloversville Intelligencer of March 18, 1882 published a story that read “A new club called “The Eccentrics” has been organized with rooms on the third floor of the Cohen Building. There are now fifteen members. They have a billiard room and nicely furnished parlor containing a piano and other
The name “The Eccentric Club” was suggested by an early member, Asa B. Peake, who said that his idea for this name came from the book “Around the World in Eighty Days” by Jules Verne.
Due to quick growth the Club outgrew the third floor rooms and moved on building south on Main Street to the third floor of what was then called the Apfelbaum Building.
Dues were $10 per year at that time. The Club remained there until June of 1886 when it’s 52 members moved to the first floor of the Cowles Building at 9 North Main Street.
The Club continued to grow and prosper under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer Millard F. Button. And because of that growth once again moved to a new building at the corner of North Main and Middle Streets built by Judge William G. Mills. The Club stayed in that location for sixteen years until the new and now existing home was completed in 1908. The Eccentric Club arrived at it’s permanent home and a dedication ceremony took place on March 12, 1908 with over six hundred guests in attendance.
The Club has hosted many prominent men in it’s day including, Theodore Roosevelt, Joseph G. Cannon, Chauncey M. Depew and numerous others. The highest membership recorded reached 300.